Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Rethinking Dairy

Picture credit: Julia Rubinic
I have been seriously rethinking dairy lately.

Since diagnosis and learning about Omega-3s and Omega-6s, I've been buying all organic, grass-fed dairy products, including eggs. But recently I learned that the fatty acid issue isn't the only reason to avoid commercial dairy. Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF) is a natural hormone that causes cell growth in young people, but there is so much of it in commercial dairy that it causes runaway cancer cell growth.

Please don't ask me to explain the science! I'll link to the articles and videos, but here is my takeaway -- organic dairy IS OK in terms of IGF. The problems happen with cows that are given Recumbinant Bovine Growth Hormone, which is converted to IGF in their liver. When we get that stuff, diseased cells grow like crazy.

Lindy has milk every morning with granola, and I like to top his fruit salad with whipped cream just for added calories, but everything I'm reading makes me want to give him lots of vegan, calorie-dense food like beans and nuts; not only does it deliver calories, but the nutrients that fight cancer.

But if the whipped cream on his berries makes him happy, and it is OK in terms of both the fatty acid type and IGF content, then I'll keep giving it to him.

Picture credit: Peter Galvin
As for eggs, I'm convinced now that eggs are not wonderful.  We eat very few a week, although Lindy has been enjoying a lunch I make with 2 eggs, a boatload of leftover swiss chard, and a small amount of cheese.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment