Thursday, April 12, 2018

How veddy English.

Lindy likes his red wine. He's allowed to have 1 glass a day. It's not only enjoyable for him but organic red wine contains resveratrol, an anti-cancer polyphenol (may help prevent cancer cells from spreading) which is found in the skins of grapes. (Get organic. Grapes are on the Dirty Dozen list of fruit and veg that have the most pesticide in them, regardless of how well you wash them. Also, we have been told that pesticides have the effect of killing the resveratrol.)

But he has to eat something while he has his wine. 
Ok, so they're inconsistent and some are too thin and
over-baked but I don't see Paul Hollywood anywhere.

I'm not sure where I got the idea of making digestive biscuits (here's the recipe I use). I made a few batches before the oven broke, but the best batch was the one where I used date sugar instead of brown sugar. Much lower glycemic index. It also has an awful lot of butter.

Now, here's where this cookie gets me into trouble. They say to wait until the butter is soft before integrating it with the dry ingredients. I didn't this time -- I was too impatient, and that's the way I make shortbread cookies. Then it says to refrigerate the batter for 15 minutes, and I've done that in the past until the batter was impossible to roll out (between 2 lengths of parchment or don't even bother.) 

So, ok, the batter wasn't really a batter even after 2 tablespoons of milk. Or 3. Finally at 4 tablespoons it held together and I rolled it out, using a Ball jar top as a cookie cutter. Rolling it out is a PITA and probably why I won't make them more often.

Well, they're awesome. I love them, but more, I love that they successfully give Lindy something he enjoys to munch on when he has his nightly glass of red wine. This will blunt the spike in blood sugar that the wine gives him, avoiding in a spike in insulin along with something called Insulinlike Growth Factor.  IGF stimulates cell growth. It also, along with insulin, promotes the factors of inflammation. Inflammation is fertilizer for tumors. Inflammation bad. Date sugar good.  

Date sugar doesn't work with everything; it does well with these biscuits.

Addendum: I should add that a combination of whole grains also slows the absorption of the carbs, and this has both oatmeal and whole wheat.


2 comments:

  1. Is wholemeal flour just whole wheat flour?
    They look delicious. I want one. Or three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in England wholemeal-whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete