Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Deliver the Liver for Lunch

Lindy's blood counts have been low. He has been anemic for some time, with occasional iron infusions, but now his white blood count is very low because of chemo. I've read that beef liver is good for both. So I got some (organic) beef liver.

Also, cruciferous veg, absolutely necessary in the anti-cancer diet (and even mentioned in reference specifically to esophageal cancer), has been unappealing to him. Heat seems to help, so I throw a little heat on most everything I make him these days.

So here we go-basic liver and onions (also very beneficial for fighting cancer). I used one onion, sliced not diced, sauteed them for about 5 minutes with salt and pepper, then added the thinly-sliced liver. Cooked until the middles were lightened -- seems the liver is dark when it's raw and lightens when cooked.

I steamed 3 heads of broccoli until just a little tender. Overcooking broccoli apparently takes away the benefits. Turns out I could have cooked it a little more for Lindy's taste.

Poured some cheese sauce over it, spiced with a healthy amount of sriracha. Two tablespoons of butter and 2 of flour, stir for a bit, then add a cup of milk, stir till it thickens a bit, add cheese, add another cup of milk. Cheese to taste. Couple of tablespoons sriracha.

He ate it all.

As you can maybe see from the pic, my cheese sauce separated. This happens to me sometimes and I have no idea why. (The answer lies here! Thanks to Terry for the tip.) Any ideas or thoughts, please comment!

Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Oh!! There is a cookbook called "Brassicas: Cooking the World's Healthiest Vegetables" that you may want to check out. Broccoli is a brassica, and the book has tons of recipes that make these things taste good. (I am personally not a broccoli fan.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, throw some sriracha cheese sauce and you might change your mind :D

    Thanks for the recommendation Janet!

    ReplyDelete