Thursday, April 12, 2018

Give the people what they want....

Veggies have different nutritional benefits when you eat them cooked vs. raw. You really have to look into each one to figure out what's best. We have been eating lots of cooked spinach lately, so I thought two things: 1. how can I incorporate some raw, to get a slightly different nutritional benefit? and 2. how can I raise up the number of servings of veg he gets in a day?

The answer is simple: give him something he absolutely adores, make it absolute deliciousness. Pour it over some raw spinach and other salad greens. What is it? Homemade chunky blue cheese dressing.

I bought 5 oz. of the most expensive blue cheese I could find, and used this recipe. The only change I made is to add some cream (I've been using local Palmer Hill Farm cream which I got from Marsh River Co-op. Rich and thick and beautiful.)

Today for lunch I made Lindy brown basmati rice with onions and mushrooms. I broke up about 1/3 cup of dried porcinis and soaked them in a cup of boiling water. Sauteed an onion and a few ounces of cremini mushrooms until mushrooms just started to release their juice. Then I added 2 cups of water and 1 cup of the mushroom soaking liquid. Brought that to a boil and added 1.5 cups of brown basmati rice. (I don't rinse my rice. I prefer it a little more clumpy). I did salt it but I think it needed a little more. I'd also go for some kind of heat next time, although I did grind some black pepper into it.

I have been watching cooking competition shows, so I've been putting a little more thought into presentation lately. I "plated" the rice, with a nice Andouille sausage atop the rice, accompanied by a nice handful of salad greens tossed with my blue cheese dressing. I wish I had taken a picture of the plate because it was gorj.

He loved, it, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment