Thursday, April 12, 2018

Creamy Shiitake

I haven't posted in a few days and people (well, my brother and sister) are complaining.

I've made a few things.

This is the shiitake mushroom dish I mentioned earlier in the blog. It's a family favorite now, and I cook it because of the wonderous superfood that shiitake is; but also because it's got lots of cream, which is good for Lindy's weight-gain (and, unfortunately, mine.)

Creamy Fettuccine with Shiitake and Porcini

It calls for ground dried porcini. When I see dried porcini in a recipe, I know it's serious about mushrooms. I make it with really thick whole wheat pasta, which Francie really likes, but I'm not so crazy about. I prefer Bella Terra whole wheat capellini but I can only get that at Hannaford in Belfast, so I made do with what they had at the Marsh River Co-op in Brooks.

I also didn't have white wine this time, but I substituted chicken broth, and it was fine.

You can't see very many mushrooms in the picture above. I didn't have a whole pound of shiitake and the cremini's I was goign to substitute had frozen in the fridge. DON'T do this dish without the full amount of mushrooms! I mean, it was good, but could have been a lot better.

Natural Living Center in Bangor has a better selection of mushrooms than Belfast Co-op. I got dried shiitake there, and out of curiosity got some dried woodear mushrooms. I don't know what I'm going to do with them yet. Suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment