Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Still cooking while Lindy is away.

Lindy is in Austin spending some time with his parents while his mother is ill. I don't like him being gone. I miss him a lot, and I can't feed him from here in Maine!

I'm a little concerned because he's having more trouble taking his supplements without going into hiccup attacks. Especially the really big pills, like the Omega-3 ones which I'll try to find in a smaller form. It causes me anxiety since I think the supplements are part of the reason his blood counts are decent; and they are my way of feeling secure that he's getting what he needs (even at 2K miles distance!)

Back to food: one guideline I'm working with is, of course, low-carb, high-calorie. So my assignment for today was to create creamed spinach and sauteed tofu. Leafy greens, always a good thing. Half and half, nice and rich. Onions and garlic, both anti-cancer (though garlic is only really anti-cancer when it is raw. I haven't figured out yet how to get raw garlic into Lindy on a regular basis). I'm not so sure about boiling the spinach, as that is supposed to lose lots of nutrients in the draining, but I thought...how much can it lose in 15 seconds of cooking?

Tofu is also anti-cancer. Lots of evidence on hormone-related cancer but some evidence that it has a promising impact on others as well.

Anyway, the tofu was really good.

Oh dear...you can see how worn out my kitchen counter is. How embarrassing.

Here is the recipe I used for the creamed spinach. It was divine: How To Make Creamed Spinach. Luckily I have Pecorino Romano on hand, as well as whole nutmeg. I don't have ground dried mustard so I threw in a scant half-teaspoon mustard seeds which I couldn't really taste.

It was as amazing as that amount of rich food can be.

As for the tofu, I didn't work with a recipe. I combined EV olive oil with (on a whim) coconut oil, about 2 tablespoons each. I fried up about 3 cloves diced garlic and about half an onion (leftover from the spinach dish.) I then added cubed tofu. It sputtered awhile because I didn't press any liquid out of the tofu. Fried them up awhile then added soy sauce and oyster sauce. Sprinkled sesame seeds over it, about a teaspoon. Stirred carefully to not break up the tofu. When they had cooked for about 10 minutes, I drizzled toasted sesame oil over it.

That was delicious too. Together, not a bad combination, surprisingly.

In a future post: I discover stir-fry.

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Raw garlic goes well minced into applesauce - I used to give it to the kids for immune boosting when they were toddlers (and pretty fussy eaters) and they tolerated it well :)

    ReplyDelete