Thursday, March 29, 2018

Chickenshackatorie


Even though I'm Italian I have trouble pronouncing it and it comes out Chickshackatory instead of Chicken Cacciatore.

Which I made yesterday.

Slice 4-5 garlic cloves. Sautee in 1-2 tbsp EVOO. I did this a little weird and bass-ackwardly though...I added 2 good-sized sliced and quartered zucchini before browning the chicken. After the zukes shrunk a bit I pushed them aside and added 5 boneless chicken thighs, salted and peppered, and browned them. Then added a jar of sauce, 3 chopped tomatoes, and chicken broth, that Better Than Bouillon stuff. I cooked it down for a really long time. Then made Bella Terra capellini, the best whole-wheat pasta we have ever had, which I've been buying for years. For cancer patients they say whole-wheat pasta is OK, just cook it al dente, with a little bite, which helps slow down absorption.

We added some nice grated parmigiana. It was something like the best chickenshackatory I've ever made.

Accompanied by non-organic asparagus which, of course, Lindy bought. But I have read repeatedly that having veg is more important than having organic veg. And we miss the variety  that we used to have when indiscriminately shopping. (We also really miss broccoli rabe; I've recently asked organic farmer friends to grow us some this summer.)

Finally, added some spring mix tossed with blue cheese dressing which I figured Lindy couldn't resist. He ate about half of what was on the plate. I think he does better eating more for lunch than having a big dinner. Often all he wants is a PBJ for dinner.

A note about the chicken. I bought Hannaford's Nature's Place organic chicken. However, it didn't say it was pasture-raised, just no antibiotics, vegetarian feed, etc. But animals fed on even organic soy or corn still develop the Omega 6 fatty acids that are inflammatory, instead of the anti-inflammatory Omega 3's. So while organic is nice and all, it's not good enough. Next time I stick to local organic chicken that is fed on what chickens have always had -- pasture and grubs.


No comments:

Post a Comment