Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Embracing the berry

This shows Lindy typing with his right hand.
He is a leftie, but the brain tumor interfered with the
function of his left hand. We believe it is slowly coming back.
The accompanying balance issues
are almost completely resolved.
Another daily routine is the berry bowl. Mid-morning I cut up some fresh organic strawberries and pineapple (which he likes and has requested) and pour over it a berry sauce. A dollop of whipped cream on top finishes a snack anyone would love.

Except that Lindy has never really enjoyed fruit.

I used to give him a bowl of blackberries, raspberries and strawberries, but he complained about the pips. I really want him to like it, so I mash up the blackberries and raspberries and push them through a strainer. What you get is a really nice sauce, tart, which Lindy likes.

How many portions of fruits and veg should he be having? Healthy people need 5-9. He needs at least that, and preferably more. But he has never had anywhere near that, so I try to sneak servings into his day where possible. The whipped cream is for increased pleasure and because he needs to keep his weight up. We're going for hi-cal here.

Berries are beautiful antioxidents. And according to Anti-Cancer, "they stimulate the mechanisms of elimination of carcinogenic substances and inhibit angiogenesis. Anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins also promote apoptosis in cancer cells."

Angiogenesis is the creation of blood vessel systems that feed the tumor. We don't want that.

Apoptosis is "cell suicide". We want this.

If you are interested in what anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins are, I really recommend you read up on it. The Beliveau book, Foods to Fight Cancer, has very detailed explanations of all these phytochemicals (which are simply the beneficial chemicals found in plants.)

When I read these terms, I look at what it does, the food it's found in, what the benefits are. I think about what Lindy likes, and I think about how I can prepare it in a way he likes. Then I promptly forget the chemical names. I got what I came for; the knowledge brought a plan of action, and that's what I remember.

This backfires when Lindy asks, "Why am I eating this?" and I say, "It does something good, just shut up and eat it," and I can hear him think, "What is the harebrained idea this time?"

But this story has a happy ending -- I think he enjoys his daily berries. Certainly more than the Golden Milk.

Lisa




No comments:

Post a Comment