Saturday, April 7, 2018

Update: A Stove and Two Dishes

The new stove is installed and I can't wait to produce more food...I've been cooking stovetop-only for weeks! I look forward to making granola, grain-rich crackers and cookies, casseroles, roasted veg, and more!

I've posted a couple of times about greens sauteed with onions and lemon. It's the simplest possible dish and very pleasing. Buy the big pack of organic baby spinach,  you know, comes in those plastic tubs. Then a smaller pack of baby kale. Chop an onion, sautee just a little until they start to be translucent, then PACK YOUR SKILLET with all the greens that will fit. Push down until you can barely fit the top of the skillet on. Lower the flame and walk away for a few minutes. Gradually the volume will shrink and you can try turning the pile over. In less time than you can imagine, it will be a fraction of the original volume. Stir it around to integrate the onions with the greens. When they are completely wilted, it is done and your own taste can determine how wilted you want the greens to be.



Last time I made this, I squeezed almost half a lemon, then worried that it wasn't enough and added another wedge. Francie said it was too much lemon. Use your own judgment!

The next dish was an experiment...just trying to keep things interesting, both for my family and for me. It was late in the evening and we hadn't eaten yet so we decided on eggs. I had read about whipping whites and yolks separately and then folding them together to create what we call "Fluffy Eggs." I whipped up 5 eggs and folded them together. I sauteed garlic, jalapenos, and added few spoons of a black btean, corn, red pepper and tomato combo I'd made previously, so it was kind of Southwest-y. I put the veg in a bowl.

I think what I did wrong was doing too much at once. The egg mixture was huge. I sprinkled the veg and some cream cheese and cheddar cheese over top of the fluffy mixture in the pan. I waited a long time. It cooked and puffed up. It was kind of fun to watch. But then it came to flipping it, and I tried to do it like an omelet which resulted in this:


Next time I think I'll do it in smaller batches, and just cover it and cook it through on a very low flame without trying to fold it. It was messy but very delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment