Saturday, April 7, 2018

Cheese Steak, and the chemo instinct

Lindy drove 18 miles for the best cheese steak in the area yesterday.
Who could possibly resist?   Photo: Rex Roof

This is after we had an argument over whether he should have a sardine sandwich or sardine salad. I wanted him to have the salad because, you know,  veg.

Then Francie and I left to go shopping, and when we got home he said he had a great cheese steak from House of Pizza in Unity.

My first response was typical me. I thought, "Why is he trying to hurt me?" I was truly deflated for about 15 minutes. And he was deeply disturbed by my reaction.

I need to trust his instinct. After his fourth chemo, he feels more "chemo-y" than previously, meaning he is more tired, feels more like dogmeat and even has a chemical taste in his mouth. So he looked inside himself and thought "Cheese steak," and drove 25 minutes to get it.

As Martha Stewart used to say, "That is a GOOD thing." I apologized after I realized how selfish I was being.

We don't know if the effects will be cumulative, that is, more pronounced, with each infusion. But right now, he's eating. It's protein. It's fat. It's calories. It's pleasing. I'm happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment