Monday, March 26, 2018

The Turmeric Tussle

I'm not sure how it happened. It came on so gradually, it was upon us before I realized it. Turmeric had come between us.

For some reason, turmeric had come to represent the invasion of his life that cancer represented. His way of having control over this disease is to live life as normally as possible. My way of living with it is to fight the cancer itself. We still clash over this. I know that I need to work on my ability to see this situation through his eyes. I'm working on it. I'm trying. But I also need to fight as hard as I can. I want him with me as long as possible. I want us to grow old together. So I make golden milk.



Turmeric, one of the most powerful natural plants, is beneficial in many different ways, but is only bioavailable when combined with black pepper and oil. I just read today that curcumin is the ingredient in turmeric that fights cancer and to be effective you have to take about 12 gms/day...which translates to too much turmeric to consume. Curcumin pills come in 500 or 750 mgs. At this point I'm not going to suggest we start that regime while Lindy is in chemo.

Soy milk is also beneficial in fighting cancer; the addition of coconut milk and heavy cream is because Lindy needs to keep his weight up.

Golden Milk a la Lisa

2 tsp organic turmeric*
scent 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
shake of nutmeg
shake of ground cloves
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
capful of vanilla
1/2 tsp honey
capful of vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream

I've tried to make this a few different ways and this is the method I've settled on.

Combine spices in a small pot. Add the coconut oil  Put flame on and mix the coconut with the spices until the oil is melted and combined with the spices. Add the milks. Heat and stir to combine. Add the vanilla and honey. Stir till honey is combined.

Pour mixture into blender. Add the heavy cream. Blend till frothy and well-combined. Pour into a large mug and serve.

*Assume that everything I make is organic unless otherwise indicated

Note to my readers ... I started this blog not to only share my experiences with others in this situation, especially spouses of cancer patients, but to get feedback and advice. Please comment if you have anything to add, correct, criticize or contradict!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment